China Pet Market
Latest news about China pet care market
Geographic distribution of pet owners in China (2016)
China is a large country to cover but most pet owners are still concentrated on the east-cost as of 2016. Concentrated business makes things a bit easier, but remember the distance Beijing-Guangzhou is similar to Stockholm-Rome, or Chicago-Miami.
Pet Market Expenditures in China
There are about 38 million dogs and cats in China. The pet economy has reached 4.5 billion yuan, with domestic and export sales of about 60 billion yuan. The number of Chinese pet food has increased 100% between 2007 and 2014.
Growing out of nothing, the pet market in China takes less than ten years to be popularly welcomed. However, at present China’s pet industry is not yet a mature industry but a sunrise one. In the future, it must be industrized with the cooperation of pet owners, industry professionals, associations and the media together to learn advanced experience to promote its faster and better development.
1) Of diploma qualification or above, aged around 30, with monthly income of 3500 yuan and monthly pet expenditures of 300 yuan
2) Shopping habits: pet stores, pet market, online shop
Present Market Situation：
1) Over 30 agents
2) Over 20 high-end stores
3) 2 standard pet markets：Beijing Aisida Pet Market, Beijing Oriental Xin Pet Paradise
4) Nearly 400 retailers: 80 square meters average, 1500 square meters the largest
5) 5 chains：Cool Di, etc.
North-South Pet Market at a Glance
Shanghai Market / South Market
Compared with price, southern consumers are concerned more about quality and brand. They consider shopping environment and service as an extremely important criteria and love to try new products. Wholesale markets are relatively small-scale and chain stores do not amount to anything, but more high-end boutiques.
More brands will set up headquarters or offices in the Shanghai market, just like those in clothing and cosmetics markets.
North-South Pet Market at a Glance
Beijing Market North Market
North consumers, concerning more about the price, are used to shop in regular stores and accept new products with slow response. Wholesale markets have products mainly in medium-low quality，with a considerable customer flow and sales amount at weekends. Whereas, chains are in large size and there’re only a few high-end pet stores.
Pet food sells best in China, about 67% of total sales amount, among which dry food sells 39%, wet food 7% and snacks 21%.
Similar to the consumption habits in overall southern market, southern consumers shop more online and there is a considerable network of people interested in purchasing on commission.
- Of no requirement for qualification, aged around 30, with monthly income of 3500 yuan and monthly pet expenditures of 400 yuan
- Shopping habits: Divided by 40 years old -- those older than 40 go to pet shop, pet market and internet, while those younger than 40 will go to pet shop, group shopping and online shopping。
Present Market Situation
- Over 50 agents
- 2 standard pet markets：Beiqiao Huaboyuan Market of Shanghai, Honghang Flower and Bird Market of Shanghai
- Over 600 retailers: 60 square meters average, 2700 square meters the largest
- 20 high-end stores: with luxurious decoration, satisfying environment and service
- 5 chain stores: Baoduolai, etc.
Market from North to South
Shan Dong Province---Pet Snacks
Shandong, an agriculture province that supplies a large number of broilers, is the main origin of pet snacks, because it is convenient to purchase the raw material.
Hebei Province Dry pet food
Hebei, Beijing and Tianjing is the main origin of dry pet food, because the surrounding area has a large supply of corm and wheat.
Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Shanghai produce a lot of textile products, including: Pets toys, bedding, dry food and wet food.
Whenzhou, with it’s developed leather industry, supplies lots of gnawing snacks.
Guangzhou is the main manufacturing and process base for toys, clothing and accessories.
a contrast to the sale proportions of four main products
China’s Pet Industry Development Tendency
- Online sales with shop sales
- Increasing awareness of brands, competing for better service rather than price
- Focus on R&D，products become more valuable
- Personalized high-end services and products are welcomed
- Industry regulation is urgently required
- Generally improve the qualities of employees
A Burgeoning Online Market
Along with the deepening development of internet, there’s a change of world economic environment. Because consumers nowadays value efficiency as well as quality, online shopping becomes popular among people of all walks of life everywhere in the world.
After a few years development, pets related products become popular online. According to the statistics from Taobao, pets category accounts for 7% of the total. So, it’s obvious that pet industry is burgeoning online with the increase of pets number and the increasing advantage of online economy.
Lets do a statistic analysis with Taobao as an example.
In Taobao, pets are divided into categories of dog, cat, aquatic animal, rabbit, hamster and other small pets, reptile and bird. Dog and cat, with a percentage of 56% and 18% respectively, rank No. 1 and No. 2. They are followed by hamster and other small pets, bird and reptile.